Maternity and Newborn Services
Our Obstetric & Gynaecology Team:
Clinical Head of Unit: Dr. Rafaat Guirguis
Refaat provides gynaecology and public obstetric services with special interests in advanced laparoscopic surgery as well as colposcopy and pelvic floor reconstructive surgery.
Dr. Anu Sarkar
Anu provides oncall Obstetrics and Gynaecology services and runs antenatal services for both private and public Obstetrics via Gippsland Specialist Services. Anu manages both high and low risk pregnancies and provides a wide range of Gynaecology Services, both major and minor for both public and private patients.
Dr. Yousri Hana
Yousri performs elective and emergency General Obstetrics and Gynaecology, open and Laparoscopic procedures, including all types of hysterectomies, pelvic floor repair, treatment of stress incontinence with a subspecialty in treatment and management of pre-invasive cervical cancer.
Central Gippsland Health delivers approximately 450 babies each year. It is staffed by a specialist team of midwives, obstetricians, and paediatricians who work together to provide you and your baby with the highest quality of care. It has a Special Care Nursery , with high and low care cots, providing care for babies who require incubator care either because they are sick or pre-term, or have complications requiring oxygen therapy or cardio-respiratory monitoring. The nursery caters for babies as young as 34 weeks.
Lactation staff assist with the establishment and maintenance of breastfeeding.
Maternity services include:
- Pre-admission clinic
- Antenatal care program at the WHIMS (Women’s Health & Integrated Maternity Services) clinic
- Antenatal education and breast feeding classes
- Antenatal admissions and monitoring for at risk conditions
- Birth suite specialised care by a midwife
- Postnatal care
- Domiciliary care – where a midwife visits following discharge
- Breastfeeding support services
- Education and training for students, midwives and medical staff
- Allied Health support including social work and physiotherapy