Maternity and Newborn Services
Take a Virtual Tour of Maternity Services at Central Gippsland Health
Central Gippsland Health delivers approximately 450 babies each year. It is staffed by a specialist team of midwives, obstetricians, and paediatricians who work together to provide you and your baby with the highest quality of care. It has a Special Care Nursery , with high and low care cots, providing care for babies who require incubator care either because they are sick or pre-term, or have complications requiring oxygen therapy or cardio-respiratory monitoring. The nursery caters for babies as young as 34 weeks.
Lactation staff assist with the establishment and maintenance of breastfeeding.
Maternity services include:
- Pre-admission clinic
- Antenatal care program at the WHIMS (Women’s Health & Integrated Maternity Services) clinic
- Antenatal education and breast feeding classes
- Antenatal admissions and monitoring for at risk conditions
- Birth suite specialised care by a midwife
- Postnatal care
- Domiciliary care – where a midwife visits following discharge
- Breastfeeding support services
- Education and training for students, midwives and medical staff
- Allied Health support including social work and physiotherapy